[Xr] Cairo

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Tue Jul 15 12:12:28 PDT 2003

After pestering everyone we know, and exhausting every interesting
word list, (art terms, colors, pigments, flowers, Latin flower names),
we could fine, Keith and I have decided on a new name for Xr that we
can live with:

	Cairo

And if there aren't any major objections from this group, we'll go
forward with that name.

The name has lots of interesting thematic possibilities for
branding. The connection with Egypt, the birthplace of writing, seems
appropriate for a 2D graphics library with an emphasis on high-quality
print output.

We've decided against pursuing the Greek chi/rho pun and will instead
change the "Xr" library prefix. We'll also take advantage of the name
change to switch away from StuDlyCapS to a style that is
easier_to_read. The plan for library function names is:

	cairo_move_to
	cairo_curve_to
	cairo_stroke
	cairo_fill
	etc.

None of the code has changed yet, but when it does, I'll also provide
some scripts to simplify the effort to shift existing code from the
old names to the new.

We have already setup a new domain:

	cairographics.org

None of the web page has been updated at all. Since we are lousy
artists/web page designers, we would invite anyone interested to
contribute content/ideas for the site.

Finally, I've done my best effort at setting up a new mailing list
with the existing subscriptions:

	cairo at cairographics.org

This will be the last message I send to xr at xwin.org. I'll followup now
with a message to cairo at cairographics.org so that everyone can verify
their subscription is working.

Thanks for all the feedback on the naming question!

Carl Worth
USC Information Sciences Institute                      cworth at isi.edu