[cairo] Question about Xft2

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Jan 13 15:03:22 PST 2004

Around 20 o'clock on Jan 12, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> This interface seems to have disappeared in Xft2. However it is apparent that
> Xft2 still contains the core font selection code, so it would be really nice
> to access this. Is there any way?

No, Xft2 does not ever use core fonts.  It has support for non-Render
servers, but does that with images and filled rectangles.

> Alternatively, I am quite willing to write the necessary code to get an Xft
> font into an OpenGL display list, except I do not have even the slightest
> hint where to start. What is the most efficient method of getting a bitmap
> out of Xft/freetype, assumming such bitmaps have already been created for use

You can use Fontconfig to locate the font files and then FreeType to load
the files.  That's all Xft does, and this would give you complete access
to the font file including the glyph images through the FreeType APIs.

-keith