[cairo] retained mode (glitz internal and cairo rendering model)

Jost Boekemeier jost2345 at yahoo.de
Mon Jul 5 08:30:39 PDT 2004

> I plan on trying to add a new type of surface to
> glitz, a kind of retained mode rendering surface

I think a "GL retained rendering surface" and a
"Direct3D retained rendering surface" is a very good
idea.  This would allow us to implement the following:

r = new Rectangle(...);
r.setAnimation(<anim commands...>);// server-side

BTW: Note that in MSIL (Avalon) every shape
(rectangle, line, ...) /isa/ RetainedVisual (could be
implemented so that every shape is associated with a
Direct3D retained visual on Windows). AFAIK you don't
have the choice to use a "normal" DrawingVisual for
shapes.

We have to think how to integrate this into GTK,
though (it must use Direct3D surface on Win, GL on X).

Jost