[cairo] Re: SVG backend patch

Steve Chaplin stevech1097 at yahoo.com.au
Wed Aug 3 05:13:51 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 12:54 -0700, cairo-request at cairographics.org
wrote:

> What is also new in this version is the use of libxml. Please tell me if
> you feel this is wrong (or anything else in the patch).
>
> 	Emmanuel.

I don't think using libxml is essential, and it adds an extra dependency to
cairo.

>From skimming through the patch I can see it uses just a small number of xml
functions (xmlBufferCat, xmlBufferCreate, xmlNewChild, xmlSetProp,
xmlBufferContent, xmlBufferFree, xmlNewDoc, xmlNewNode)

Why not write you own versions of these functions and remove the dependency?
The PS/PDF backends seem to manage OK AFAIK without importing a PS/PDF
parsing library.

Steve