[cairo] Making pixman a detail

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Aug 10 07:42:02 PDT 2005

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:55:11 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> I've whacked cairo and libpixman so that cairo references a private copy
> of pixman with suitable name changes to avoid any visible pixman symbols
> in the cairo library.

Thanks for doing this, Keith.

I know that I'll be much more comfortable with only having to support
the cairo API, (which we've put an awful lot of work into), rather
than the pixman API as well, (which still needs an awful lot of work).

> I've copied libpixman CVS under the cairo directory, so you'll already
> get pixman bits in your cairo directories, the patch included here makes
> this actually useful.

In the few moments that I've explored this, I'm already lost between
source living alternately in:

	src
and
	pixman/src

It occurs the me that with this privatized version, we don't need any
of the files in the intermediate pixman directory. (Please note the
licensing information for all files in pixman is locally contained
within each and none refer to an external COPYING file). So, shall we
eliminate that and then rename the two "src" directories to:

	cairo
and
	pixman

That will also take a little getting used to, but I'm sure that will
be much more pleasant.

Meanwhile, the library itself seems to build fine, but
cairo/test/imagediff is failing for me with undefined references to
"pixman" symbols like so:

../src/.libs/libcairo.so: undefined reference to `pixman_image_get_stride'
../src/.libs/libcairo.so: undefined reference to `pixman_image_get_format'

What am I missing to make that work?

The $PKG_CONFIG hackery in configure.in that lets things work with old
and new pkg-config is really cute. Should we perhaps also add a
warning in the old pkg-config case letting packagers know about the
potential binary-compatibility issues and letting them know of the
benefits that would come from upgrading pkg-config?