[cairo] (no subject)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Aug 10 10:03:58 PDT 2005

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 23:59:21 -0400 (EDT), Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Attached is the correct patch for version autofoo.  The libtool
> versioning stuff should be after initializing autotools to take
> effect.

> +AC_INIT([cairo],
> +	cairo_version_major.cairo_version_minor.cairo_version_micro[]cairo_version_other,
> +m4_define(cairo_version_major, 0)
> +m4_define(cairo_version_minor, 6)
> +m4_define(cairo_version_micro, 0)
> +m4_define(cairo_version_other, -head)

Does that work? I guess it could in pre-processor land, but it looks
funny to me to define these values after they are used. I'd like the
version assignment to be first in the file anyway, since it's the only
thing in this file that's edited on a regular basis.

I'm a little unsure about what to do with "-head". With this patch and
my previous proposal, we would be advertising "-head" in the following
places:

	configure-time (cairo.pc):		0.9.0-head
	compile-time (CAIRO_VERSION_STRING):	"0.9.0-head"
	run-time (cairo_version_string()):	"0.9.0-head"

But there wouldn't be anything to distinguish 0.9.0-head from 0.9.0 in
the following cases:

	compile-time (CAIRO_VERSION):		000900
	run-time (cairo_version():		000900

We could just make CAIRO_VERSION_ENCODE multiply everything by 10 and
then define CAIRO_VERSION as CAIRO_VERSION_ENCODE(MAJ,MIN,MIC)+1,
(or +5, or perhaps +9 to more obviously make this digit distinct from
the micro digit which is likely to hit 1 quite often).