[cairo] Making cairo_error weak

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Aug 17 00:50:46 PDT 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Owen Taylor wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 15:43 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> > Attached patch sets a mechanism for toolkits and applications to
> > override _cairo_error calls by defining cairo_error(status).
>
> I don't like this any more than the old cairo_set_error_notify(),
> perhaps even less. A toolkit obviously should override this under no
> circumstances, because it has no idea what other libraries are
> being used within the process that want the function.

> How do you see this being used, specifically?

All I really want is to be able to get a message printed when I'm
developing something with Cairo.  So, an option for a debugging
compile of Cairo to write an error to stderr does that for me.
Other than that, I was imagining that Gtk+ can hook that to
glib's error handling, so we get them pass g_log too.  With Gtk+
using and depending on Cairo, we probably see a lot more people
use Cairo with the Gtk+ stack, and having a central error
handling mechanism is a big plus.

> Regards,
> 					Owen

Thanks,