[cairo] Problem with quartz backend update logic

Carl Worth cworth at redhat.com
Fri Jan 28 05:46:23 PST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:01:56 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > There's at least two ways of fixing this:
[...]
> >   * have quartz's get_surface read the underlying pixels and
> >     change set_surface to do a simple blit instead of compositing.
>
> The later. set_image is simply a blit. I'm about to change set_image(),

Yes. Those are the assumptions made by the current fallback code for
the image-backend. The fallback stuff is currently very inefficient
and I think Owen's planned changes will help improve that somewhat.

But, another approach to improving things is to rely less on the
fallback code, (eg. get cairo_quartz_surface_composite to use some of the
compositing available in Quartz rather than just always falling back
by returning CAIRO_INT_STATUS_UNSUPPORTED).