[cairo] Compile error with Cairo 1.0.0/1.0.2 on Mac OS X

Karim Zaki karembu at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 21:12:13 PST 2005

Dear all,

I'm trying to install Cairo on my Mac OS X. I downloaded and compiled
all the dependencies, and the configure script now looks pretty good.
When I come to make, though, I get an error related to FcFini being
undefined, although the configure script checks for it and gives a
"yes". Output from the configure script is like so:

cairo will be compiled with the following surface backends:
  Xlib: yes
  Quartz: no
  XCB: no
  Win32: no
  PostScript: no
  PDF: no
  glitz: no

the following font backends:
  FreeType: yes
  Win32: no
  ATSUI: no

and the following features:
  PNG functions: yes

and the last few lines of make's output are:

gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/imagediff imagediff.o  ./.libs/libcairotest.a
../src/.libs/libcairo.dylib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXrender -lXext -lX11
-L/usr/local/lib -lpng12 -lfontconfig -lfreetype -lz -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_FcFini
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [imagediff] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

I was going to paste the whole thing, but I don't know if that's the
convention on this list. Please help.

Thanks,
Karim