[cairo] using cairo in c++

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Tue Oct 11 10:47:52 PDT 2005

John Taber wrote:
> Thks for the info - but fltk 2.0.x-r4586 does not fully build with the
> enabled-cairo option - (it fails on compiling Fluid with "libcairo.so.2
> - cannot open shared object file ...)
>
> Following the partial build - I tried a helloworld program (without any
> cairo commands) - fails on linking libfltk.a (fillrect.o) - undefined
> reference to cairo_rectangle - so somehow it is using cairo in base fltk
> libs though those libs are apparently not correctly built.
>
> Not sure if this is related to cairo pkgs, fltk makefiles, fltk
> namespaces, or even something else (btw compiled under gcc 3.3.5).  If
> its a pure Fltk issue, I'll move this over to the Fltk list.  I checked
> that both the fltk make and my make for helloworld linked to the
> /usr/lib directory - I noticed Cairo headers are in /usr/include/cairo

Pretty certain this is an fltk issue.

It sounds like it is not locating the cairo library, probably because
the name/location is hardcoded into the makefile. The file "makeinclude"
is the configure output, you can probably edit that to change the -L
switches.

Note that this was last tried with a pre-1.0.0 version of cairo, though
somebody patched it for the new version, but I don't know if it ever worked.