[cairo] Patch: fix subpixel BGR/vRGB rendering

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at mandriva.com
Fri Oct 14 07:15:08 PDT 2005

Le mercredi 05 octobre 2005 à 11:05 -0700, Carl Worth a écrit :
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:11:18 +0200, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> > Hmm, since glyph cache rewrite has not landed on 1.0 branch and I'm not
> > sure it will go to 1.0.x, I've still think subpixel BGR/vRGB should be
> > handled correctly in 1.0.x.
>
> Yes, the plan has been to not land the glyph cache rewrite on the 1.0
> branch.

Ok, it wasn't really clear when I discussed with keith before 1.0 was
released..

> > I've update my initial patch following David Turner comments on cairo
> > wrong usage of freetype flags. Code is almost doing the same thing as
> > Xft, except for hinting == light with subpixel. Currently, since
> > subpixel is handled by cairo, we can't use light hinting with LCD
> > render, so I've changed the logic to only set light hinting when LCD
> > rendering is not used.
> >
> > Patch has been done for 1.0 branch.
>
> I'm sorry I missed this for 1.0.2. I don't have a lot of experience
> with the affected code here, (nor other experience with Xft code or
> direct use of freetype). So it would be nice to get some review from
> others.

I guess keith or Owen could review the code.

> And independently, something else that would help here would be a
> failing test case for cairo/test that this patch fixes. That kind of
> thing always makes it much easier for me to accept a patch.

I've just updated my patch to modify subpixel text rendering testcase so
all 4 possible subpixel rendering mode as tested (instead of just RBG
mode).

You'll find it attached to this mail, as well as the new subpixel
reference image to use with the updated testcase.

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat at mandriva.com>
Mandriva