[cairo] 8 bit pseudo color missing.

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Mar 22 13:12:23 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 15:55 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:

>    Floyd-Steinberg dithering, though it really doesn't work
>    well for screen display due to discontinuities at the
>    edges of dithered regions has the nice property that
>    it is easy to get going with an arbitrary color map
>    rather than a color cube. As long as you have *some* way
>    of finding an color in the color map that approximates
>    the color of the pixel, then you'll get decent results.

I think an ordered dither makes a whole lot more sense here; it's both
faster and generates stable results.

But, otherwise, I think this approach will produce better results than
the way the X server does things. Storing data in TrueColor format isn't
an option for Render inside the server, but it certainly is for us.

keith.packard at intel.com