[cairo] Avoiding seams (again)

MenTaLguY mental at rydia.net
Thu Mar 23 09:49:01 PST 2006

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:18:10 -0800, "Vladimir Vukicevic" <vladimirv at gmail.com> wrote:
> We don't really have a good solution yet; I don't think SATURATE is an
> option for us, since we're slow enough as it is (though it might be
> acceptable for certain situations where we know we're going to run
> into this, like thick borders).  We've been considering supersampling,
> maybe extending push group/pop group to support supersampling
> internally, but we haven't done any investigation down that path yet
> either.

The only fully general solution is to use some sort of FSAA, whether supersampling or something else (supersampling is certainly easiest).

It's worth noting that Macromedia Flash originally tried to use some sort of adjacent-edges approach (the file format is designed around it), but they had to abandon that for supersampling-based FSAA.

If you do supersampling on a per-group basis, that still doesn't solve the problem of objects in different groups which are adjacent.  Approaches using SATURATE are also unsuitable as they are limited to dealing with local geometry.

-mental