[cairo] Making Cairo friendlier for embedded use

Seb James seb at esfnet.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 01:24:58 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 16:25 -0500, Sean Kelley wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has been considering the long-term impact of
> the floating point intensive Cairo on embedded products wishing to
> make use of Gtk+?  In general, resource limited processors like ARM
> lack an fpu.  Recent improvements such as softfloat in gcc have
> helped.  But just curious if there are other developers on this list
> who have a long term interest in staying in step with Gtk+
> improvements beyond 2.6.  Currently I am doing an embedded design
> based on Gtk+ 2.6.10.  I just was curious if there are other embedded
> developers on this list.

I lurk on this list keeping half an eye on cairo development.

We use GTK+ (2.4.x right now) in an embedded product and hope to be able
to continue to use GTK+ on that platform, as well as cairo in its own
right. Our "embedded" platform (a Geode GX2) is really very powerful, so
fpu support isn't itself a problem, but we have a general interest in
cairo and GTK+ staying slim and fast so that our products are
responsive.

kind regards,

Seb James

--
Embedded Software Foundry Ltd. 'Embedded Linux Development'
Tel: +44 (0)845 4580277   Web: http://www.esfnet.co.uk/