[cairo] Re: Making Cairo friendlier for embedded use

Leon Woestenberg leonw at mailcan.com
Tue Mar 28 04:50:35 PST 2006

Hello all,

good to see there is interest in using Cairo (and friends) to embedded
platforms. Maybe we should first define what our goals are exactly and
then see if we can work together on them?

I will draft up an initial collection of stuff I have seen on the list.

Damian Dixon wrote:

> I've also been lurking on the list.
>
> I do embedded development on quite low powered ARM and PowerPC systems
> so floating point can quickly become an issue.

I assume that "low powered" means having no FPU then, instead of the
wattage your targets are consuming :-)

> We only use GTK+ for raster drawing rather then anything else so I am
> not concerned too much with GTK+ using floating point arithmetic (via
> Cario).
>
> Currently Cario does not give us the performance we require, though I
> continue to lurk as the glitz backend is of interest to us as we
> currently mix X11/Win32 and OpenGL/DirectX and Cario would potentially
> allow us to reduce the complexity.

So your embedded targets do have hardware OpenGL/DirectX support?