[cairo] filters/image processing

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Fri Sep 1 10:41:31 PDT 2006

I feel the best place to put shaders is the compositing step. Basically
as well as OVER, CLEAR, etc, you would in the future be able to set the
shader that is used (note that shaders take the existing pixel as one of
it's inputs and produce the final pixel, so compositing and shading are
the same thing).

This won't be as powerful as OpenGL as the set of *inputs* to the shader
is limited to a fixed set: the mask, the path (as an antialiased image),
the source pattern, the source color, and the destination pixel. I don't
think cairo should provide a way to add to these inputs. I would think
an OpenGL implementation would just load the shader (or the built-in one
for the defined compositing operators) and then draw a rectangle of the
bounding box of the path.

Shaders could specify the cairo compositing operator they are most
similar to, and implementations that don't support the shader just use
that operator. This may also be a good idea for adding new compositing
operators to Cairo.

I certainly agree that any API that does not correspond to a shading
language is not a good idea. There is no need to compose shaders,
because all shader languages are powerful enough that all possible
composed shaders are also a shader.

, since this is cer