[cairo] filters/image processing

MenTaLguY mental at rydia.net
Sat Sep 2 09:15:16 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 10:38 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> So do the programmable bits first and let people write utility libraries
> that generate programs. A GLSL "compiler" would actually be easier than
> what you're proposing; GLSL is effectively an assembly language and
> closely maps to 3D hardware execution engines (no surprises there).

Well, as far as hardware is concerned it's trivial.  OpenGL drivers even
provide their own GLSL compilers, after all.  So, if we were talking
about a glitz-surface-specific API, and only cared about GLSL-supporting
OpenGL drivers, I'd agree with you, hands down.

What about the X and image surfaces, though?  The motivating problem was
to write an SVG renderer that supported SVG filter effects atop cairo,
for which glitz is not always an option, any more than GLSL will be
ubiquitous in deployed hardware for quite some time.

That means a GLSL compiler/interpreter for the main processor as well, I
guess?  I think an API proposal that allows us to gradually work up to
exposing GLSL is more likely to get implemented than one which requires
cairo to incorporate a full-blown GLSL implementation up-front.

Setting that aside for the moment, since we basically agree that GLSL is
ultimately the way to go, what do you think the GLSL interface in cairo
should look like?

-mental