[cairo] filters/image processing

Robert O'Callahan rocallahan at novell.com
Sun Sep 3 15:39:16 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 10:15 -0700, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
> However, doing a full pipeline metaphors with variables and whatnot is
> overkill, I think; create an API to apply a convolution filter, and I
> think you cover a large chunk of current use cases  (shadows,
> blur/sharpen, etc.).  (It doesn't get you full SVG, but I don't think
> full support for SVG filters is an interesting goal.)

Perhaps we need to figure out what the important use cases are.

A couple of things beyond convolution filters that I think we will need
in Mozilla:
-- color channel manipulation (e.g., color->grayscale conversion).
There's Web content that tries to do these things with IE's 'filter'
property, so we should support that somehow
-- luminance->alpha conversion for SVG's mask feature

tor can probably tell us which SVG filters people actually want to use.

Rob