[cairo] filters/image processing

Øyvind Kolås pippin at gimp.org
Mon Sep 4 02:48:24 PDT 2006

On 9/4/06, Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimirv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Argh, all of them, please?  I'd rather not have to deal with which
> > > subset of filter effects particular browsers happen to support.
> >
> > You're going to have to deal with this anyway, as some filters will be
> > more performant than others in a given browser.  The best that you can
> > hope for is that the major SVG-implementing browser vendors agree on a
> > subset that they can all accelerate, and leave the rest to rot.
> > (Really, much like the way the SVG "standard" itself is being
> > implemented.)

For what it is worth, I am inclined to implement SVG-filters on top of
GEGL[1], as part of some other XML compositing format experiments I am
currently doing [2,3]. What is guiding my implementation at the
current stage is precision, not speed. Proper considerations for
hardware acceleration are left until everything works in the
correct-but-perhaps-slow.

1: http://pippin.gimp.org/gegl/
2: http://pippin.gimp.org/gegl/gallery/
3: http://pippin.gimp.org/OpenRaster/