[cairo] .so PLT entries for local symbols

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Sep 5 02:36:26 PDT 2006

Arjan van de Ven helped me eliminate .so PLT entries for local symbols
from fontconfig and I wondered if the same should be done for cairo.

The procedure is hackish, but doesn't modify the public header files or
the source functions themselves; the basic procedure is to alias every
public symbol with a magic hidden symbol that is used from within the
library.

What you end up with is significantly smaller code, however you lose the
ability to replace cairo functions with LD_PRELOAD or other shared
libraries (which I consider a feature).

keith.packard at intel.com