[cairo] .so PLT entries for local symbols

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Sep 5 10:54:22 PDT 2006

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 02:36:26 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven helped me eliminate .so PLT entries for local symbols
> from fontconfig and I wondered if the same should be done for cairo.
>
> The procedure is hackish, but doesn't modify the public header files or
> the source functions themselves; the basic procedure is to alias every
> public symbol with a magic hidden symbol that is used from within the
> library.

We've had Richard Henderson's PLT bypassing "slim_hidden_proto"
implementation in cairo since July 2003 (9fecd258a68a915). Are you
proposing anything fundamentally different than that? The current
implementation can be seen here:

http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=cairo;a=blob;h=119ee26e496a0cc08d;f=src/cairoint.h#l70

We don't currently do it for every public function. Originally Richard
scanned for public functions that were also used internally and added
the slim_hidden_proto for them. I've added a few since when I've
noticed that we started using a public function internally for the
first time, but I haven't checked to see if we're currently missing
any.