[cairo] Fix for bitmap-font failure (don't generate a Type 1 font)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Sep 7 23:10:06 PDT 2006

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 22:18:51 -0400, "=?UTF-8?Q?Kristian_H=C3=B8gsberg?=" wrote:

> On 9/7/06, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> > When the Type 1 font generation code was recently merged it broke the
> > bitmap-font test for both the ps and pdf backends. (Kristian and
> > Adrian, shame on you both for not running "make test" with the new
> > code.)
>
> Yup, sorry about that - I didn't really have the time to proplerly
> merge Adrians patches in the first place, so maybe I shouldn't have
> picked that up.  It's good work though, so I wanted to make sure it
> got committed.

Oh, I hope I didn't come across as more harsh than I intended there...
Perhaps I should have added a smiley or two there. :-}

And I had meant to add that I was actually grateful for the excuse to
get into this unfamiliar code a bit. I cleaned up a few things that
Adrian might find instructive, (take a look at the last few commits I
made to cairo-type1-fallback.c). Also, I took a chance to play a bit
with a new alternate strategy for objects that hold on to their
status.

When one object creates another temporary object and uses it, we want
any error that occurs in the subordinate object to be noticed by and
propagated up to the first object. So you really want to be able to
get the status value out from the object as the very last thing you do
with it. In fact, it's even possible that an error occurs only during
destroy, so we really need destroy (or finish as well) to return the
status value, since after destroy it's too late.

So I started fixing up the cairo_output_stream stuff to return status
from destroy. I haven't fixed all the callers yet, (some were already
checking the status with _cairo_output_stream_get_status just before
destroy, but I just realized now that that's too early).

But I wanted to play with this addition within cairo fora bit. Later I
think we'll want to add the status return to the public destroy
functions, (cairo_destroy, cairo_surface_destroy,
cairo_pattern_destroy, etc.).