[cairo] Font size, how to make it very small?

Travis Griggs tgriggs at key.net
Tue Sep 12 08:48:59 PDT 2006

On Sep 11, 2006, at 12:15, Carl Worth wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:10:43 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 12:03 -0300, Gustavo Sikora wrote:
>>> Indeed =) This was the reference I get from the cairo samples:
>>> http://cairographics.org/samples/snippets.html
>>
>> Umm, maybe we should add a note to that page.  It's correct to use
>> those
>> numbers in those snippets as the normalize_snippet call is adding
>> a huge
>> scale and as you see all coordinates are also < 1.0
>
> We really just need to re-write all the snippets to draw with the
> default CTM, and eliminate the snippets_normalize calls. This has been
> the cause of way too much confusion too many times.
>
> Any volunteer?
>
> I think the simplest approach would be to simply remove the call to
> snippets_normalize and then to change all the input numbers
> (coordinates, font sizes, line widths, etc.) to be multiplied by a
> factor of 100, say.

I dunno, once I got what the snippet normalize was doing, I didn't
mind so much. I even felt like I was really making sure I had gotten
it all right by doing it in a "unit" space. What I found lacking was
a link to the code snippet at the top. I know you can check it out
and look at it and wade through all kinds of stuff, but that was
suddenly a whole leap of just looking at it in browser and copying it
and playing with it. Adding the line snippet_normalize(); to each of
the samples, and then having that be a link to the actual code would
work just as well. Then you have the benefit of seeing the whole
thing normalized, but since it is just boilerplate code, it stays
collapsed as that part becomes familiar and you just want to see the
particular drawing API.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist