[cairo] Re: On recovery from errors in cairo (was: cairo reset)

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 13:56:19 PDT 2006

On 9/25/06, Kalle Vahlman <kalle.vahlman at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/9/25, Mike Emmel <mike.emmel at gmail.com>:
> > Next I need to see about getting a device to the main cairo team if
> > your intrested
> > in adding a arm device to your performance testing.
>
> Apparently you haven't been paying attention :)
>
> Performance on ARM, specifically on the TI OMAP1710 found on Nokia
> 770, has been a hot topic recently. Hot enough to make Nokia hand out
> a device to Carl (for obvious reasons ;).

 I knew he had a Nokia 770 I was thinking of a smaller device :)
The Nokia 770 is quite powerful, I'm not sure its representative but
I've not compared numbers.

If I'm forced to buy one so we can share numbers I think I can handle it :)

> > Once we have a arm device in your possesion we can talk real numbers
> > about performance on the device.
>
> The GNOME performance list had a long thread on floating point in
> Cairo, with some numbers:
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/performance-list/2006-August/msg00007.html
>
> I also posted some related performance data to the list, though didn't
> have the time to get to the "why"s then (and it was more of GTK+
> version vs another GTK+ version, though one variable there was Cairo).

I've seen a lot of traffic on arm issues thats why I mentioned it.
I just can't give numbers for the device I'm testing but most arm
devices that use similar cpu's have about the same performance so
it does not matter too much. And of course having a good reason to get a
770 is not a horrible position to be in, but it makes it tough for me to push
for sending him other devices :)

Maybe someone from intel will send him a xscale device...

Mike