[cairo] best way to get cairo for Mac OS X?

Ryan Schmidt cairo-2006c at ryandesign.com
Wed Sep 27 03:57:39 PDT 2006

On Sep 25, 2006, at 23:20, Carl Worth wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:38:01 -0400, Travis Griggs wrote:
>
>> I've been doing cairo<->Smalltalk binding work under Linux, but now
>> going to be doing it on OSX. Is the OSX version of cairo pretty
>> stable?

[snip]

> Vladimir has been hard at work on a new backend for OS X,
> which is currently available only by grabbing the latest cairo via
> git, (though we should probably push out a snapshot soon with both it
> and the new tessellator in it).

That would be very interesting! I'd certainly appreciate a snapshot
with the new OS X backend.

>> What is the best approach for getting the library? Just
>> download and compile? or fink or some other tool?
>
> I don't really have any input here. The times I've done testing on a
> mac I've just downloaded and compiled, (I maybe had to grab a newer
> fontconfig or XRender implementation than existed on the system, but I
> don't recall specifics).

Since cairo 1.2.2 I haven't had any problem just downloading and
compiling. (I include it in my graphviz packages at
www.ryandesign.com/graphviz .) graphviz has seemed rather slow in
recent versions, which may be partially due to cairo; I don't know.
I'm not using the quartz backend and I might not even be using
xrender. I was mostly interested in just getting anything working
first; I can work on performance concerns later.

cairo is also easily available through MacPorts. Probably Fink too
but I haven't used Fink in awhile.