[cairo] PDF Transparent Gradients

Jeff Muizelaar jeff at infidigm.net
Thu Apr 26 11:25:54 PDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:45:56AM -0700, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:09:20 -0400, Jeff Muizelaar wrote:
> > Yep, it looks like something is wrong here. I'll look into it when I get
> > the chance.
>
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Any status update on fixing these issues in poppler?

Nope. I haven't had a chance to deal with it. I can try to look this
weekend but no promises.

> Adrian just sent me an updated patch for native PDF gradients which
> I'd very much like to apply, but it would be much nicer if I could
> have a version of poppler that would allow me to use our test suite to
> verify the patch.

For this to work we'd probably need to use cairo gradients for pdf
gradients. This is not currently done and wasn't trivial last time I
looked at doing it.

> I tried checking out a newer poppler to see if things are better, but
> I ran into a couple of problems:
>
> 1. Poppler is still stuck in cvs, so I can't even get a useable "log"
>    to see if it mentions this bug being fixed.

There is the ChangeLog file. But yes, I agree, using cvs is painful.

> 2. The latest poppler isn't building for me. It's failing with:
>
> 	Making all in goo
> 	make[2]: Entering directory `/home/cworth/src/poppler/goo'
> 	make[2]: *** No rule to make target `gmem.c', needed by `gmem.lo'.
> 	Stop.

I think this might be fixed now.

> Anyway, that's not too relevant for the cairo list, but I did want to
> let people know I'm trying to get the native PDF gradient stuff
> merged, (at which point I'll make a pre-release snapshot and then make
> cairo 1.4.6 from that).

I'd like to be able to help here, but I don't think you should hold up a
release waiting on it.

Sorry,

-Jeff