[cairo] PDF Transparent Gradients

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Apr 27 16:45:16 PDT 2007

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:30:40 +1030, Adrian Johnson wrote:
> Attached are two patches that implement transparent gradients for the
> PDF backend.

Thanks so much, Adrian!

These are now pushed out, (based on an updated version you sent to me
privately---along with some minor whitespace issues I fixed up).

> Xpdf and Poppler do not appear to support text patterns or stroke patterns.
>
> Poppler does not appear to support SMasks. Also, enabling padding with a
> radial gradient did not pad out the entire rectangle I was filling.

To workaround the poppler limitations, I've disabled the following
four tests from being tested against the PDF backend:

	gradient-alpha, linear-gradient, text-pattern, and trap-clip

When the poppler bugs get fixed we can re-enable these again.

These native gradients should be quite useful, (supporting EXTEND_NONE
and EXTEND_PAD so far). Adrian mentioned he's planning on doing the
other extend modes next as well as meta-surface for PDF
create_similar, (which will enable non-rasterized push/pop_group for
PDF).

That will be very nice. Keep up the great work!