[cairo] Toy Text API

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Aug 1 13:19:07 PDT 2007

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:32:33 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 03:34 -0400, KULBHUSHAN PACHAURI wrote:
>
> >            b) What are the font families supported in toy text api.
> > ( correct me if this question is wrong) :)
>
> The FreeType backend uses fontconfig.  So, all fonts known by fontconfig
> can be accessed more or less.

And since an application can't actually know that any particular
backend is being used by the toy API, no application can really rely
on any set of fonts being available, (nor does the toy API allow for
the list of available fonts to be queried).

So, there really aren't any guarantees in general. But one should
always get at least _some_ font. And the CSS2 family names should
generally work as expected:

	serif, sans-serif, cursive, fantasy, monospace

	http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.html#generic-font-families

So the toy font API is very limited, but, hey, it's a toy. If these
limitations are a problem, then your application should be written
against the real font API, (and talk directly to the underlying font
system to get the list of available fonts).