[cairo] Entry points for nonexistent backends?

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Wed Aug 15 14:47:52 PDT 2007

Owen Taylor writes:
 > I don't understand the point of this version ... the SVG/PDF/PS backends
 > have no external dependencies other than the font system, right?

They do cause dependencies on libpng and zlib.

 > The fact that it's possible to build FreeType on fontconfig on windows
 > is no more relevant than the fact it's possible to build libX11 on
 > Windows.

 > So, in answer to your question, while cairo might theoretically be
 > able to be built 10 ways from Sunday, there effectively must be a single
 > standard per-platform build. And that's what language bindings should
 > target.

OK. Somebody should try to sort this out with the people who provide
cairomm and/or gtkmm for Windows, it seems that either of those
require cairo_ft_font_face_create_for_pattern. Dunno why. (See
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2007-June/010906.html )

--tml