[cairo] Path Gradients

Bobby Salazar bobby8934 at inbox.com
Fri Dec 21 10:03:00 PST 2007

Ok then. From what I understand of the GDI+ implementation, you have a path and a center point (or an outer path and an inner path instead of a single center point). Then you set color stops that define how the gradient looks going from the center point (or the inner path) to the outer path. IIRC, if you use an inner path, the entire path is filled with the first color stop, and then the gradient starts at the edges of the inner path.

So perhaps an API that looks something like this:

cairo_pattern_t* cairo_pattern_create_path_gradient(const cairo_path_t *outer_path, const cairo_path_t *inner_path);

Then you can add colors stops as needed. It seems to me that the center point could be represented using the function above. But you could also provide an additional function that creates a pattern based on an X and Y center point instead of an inner_path. Another function could be provided that uses the current path (and either inner_path or center point) to construct the pattern.

Questions, thoughts, etc.?

BTW - here is a good page on using GDI+ path gradients: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533917.aspx