[cairo] Pixman releases (was: Re: Cairo documentation)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Jul 4 11:41:59 PDT 2007

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 16:45:49 +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> Speaking of the new external pixman, where can I find recent (e.g. > 2005) pixman
> releases? A few minutes of googling give me a lot of links to a git repo[1] and the old
> location at cairo[2].

I'm not aware of any usable pixman releases existing. The old
snapshots from 2005 are definitely not what you want.

So this is something that will definitely have to be fixed before we
release anything like cairo 1.6 that has this new external dependency.

In general, the change to make cairo depend on pixman could have been
smoother. For example, the README still says:

	image backend
	-------------
	no dependencies

Which isn't true anymore. And the webpage also wasn't updated to
advertise that a new pixman dependency was needed, (though this was my
fault as the website was not easily updateable until very recently).

But I expect those things to be fixed in very short order.

> I'd hate to have to pick a (random) revision to lock pixman to when adding cairo 1.5.x
> releases into the buildsystem, because floating revisions are just a QA nightmare[3].

I'm not sure what "the buildsystem" is here, but cairo 1.5.x, (the
only thing to depend on an external pixman), also doesn't exist as any
release---it's only available via git, just like pixman is. For
reference, the canonical repository for pixman is available here:

	git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/pixman

And before we make a cairo release that depends on an external pixman
library, I will ensure that there exists a pixman release with the
same API/ABI guarantees that cairo has. (Otherwise, we'll just fold
the code back into cairo again.)