[cairo] Cairo documentation

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Jul 5 07:37:54 PDT 2007

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 09:45:30 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 10:10 -0400, Carl Worth wrote:
>
> Umm, I'm not sure I like this.  Yeah, I definitely don't.
>
> What if, we put the web stuff inside cairo's main git repo?

That seems easy, but it does get tricky... (see below).

> Say, cairo/www?  Doesn't have to go into tarballs, but at least we can drop
> cairo/TODO etc and move them in www/, then make "make dist" copy them
> into cairo/ just for the tarball.

Actually, I would like to have something even in the distributed tar
file. Remember I recently pointed out that I'd like for people to be
able to step directly into a "doc" directory and start reading. So one
trick is that some of the documentation wants to live at different
places in the source repository, (like things like TODO up at the
toplevel), and another is that the .mdwn extension isn't obviously
inviting to a new reader.

So we could fix that by putting everything where it is most natural in
the source repository, and then make the update hook script that
generates the web page move things to where it expects them, (and
perhaps add a .mdwn extension).

The biggest problem though, is that the wiki is setup to be
world-editable. I'm totally comfortable doing that for descriptive
text for documentation/web pages, but I don't feel as comfortable
making our canonical source-code repository writable from the web.
(Right now, the source code lives on an entirely separate machine from
any web-facing stuff, since we generally don't trust any of it
completely.)

Suggestions?

Do we have two repositories and commit to both with moderation for
moving web-based commits from one to the other?