[cairo] Changes in web commits

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Jul 5 08:31:39 PDT 2007

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 17:10:50 +0200, Nis Martensen wrote:
> I have made some very small changes in the wiki. Now I see the
> following:
> | Date:   Thu Jul 5 02:15:17 2007 -0700
> |
> |     From bedhad to Behdad
> | -   or see `arc_to` branch in bedhad's repository
> | +   or see `arc_to` branch in Behdad's repository
> | +    * Hardware Acceleration of some sort
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> The first change really is from me, but I certainly didn't add any TODO
> item for backend coders. Not that I disapprove of it, but where does it
> come from?

I did wonder about that change, (since the commit message was so
narrow, yet there was this _other_ change happening).

I suspect the same bug affected other commits such as b0a55cbd6e from
Jonathon Jongsma where the message is "add link to drawing area
documentation of the gtkmm manual" but in addition to that the commit
adds a handful of new pages under both cookbook/ and pycairo/ .

And I'm guessing that this is just bugs in the git-specific code of
ikiwiki. It uses a persistent working directory for constructing new
commits, so one theory is that a commit fails for some reason, but
leaves its changes in that working directory, and then a subsequent
commit picks them up.

I had glanced very quickly at the git-specific code in ikiwiki and it
was actually somewhat frightening. It had the appearance of being very
over-complicated perhaps due to being ported from code that handled a
version-control system that doesn't provide all of the robustness that
git provides.

It might actually make sense to just write new code for creating a git
commit from a wiki edit from scratch rather than trying to debug
what's there now.