[cairo] install on Mac OS

Fred Clare fred at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 25 09:46:04 PDT 2007

I am trying to install cairo on Mac OS X, Version 10.4.9.
As per the download instructions I executed:

   sudo apt-get install cairo

This does build a library libcairo.a in /sw/lib.  When I
loaded this I got a number of missing entries from the
png library, so I installed that.  Then there were missing
entries from the freetype library, so I installed that.
I am still getting dozens of missing entries.  Some coming
from ATSUI, which I am not sure how to resolve, and others
that I don't know where they are coming from.  Suggestions
would be appreciated.

Here is a list of the missing entries:

/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_ATSFontGetHorizontalMetrics
_ATSUCreateAndCopyStyle
_ATSUCreateStyle
_ATSUCreateTextLayout
_ATSUDirectGetLayoutDataArrayPtrFromTextLayout
_ATSUDirectReleaseLayoutDataArrayPtr
_ATSUDisposeStyle
_ATSUDisposeTextLayout
_ATSUFindFontFromName