[cairo] Survey of polygon rasterization techniques

Jeff Muizelaar jeff at infidigm.net
Mon Jul 30 23:58:57 PDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 01:58:19AM -0400, Mike Shaver wrote:
> On 7/30/07, Jeff Muizelaar <jeff at infidigm.net> wrote:
> > Trapezoid based
> > ---------------
> > cairo
> >         - tessellate to trapezoids and then rasterize trapezoids
> > qt
> >         - tessellate to trapezoids and then rasterize trapezoids
> > amanith
> >         - tessellate -> opengl
>
> I think gameswf (public domain GL/DX Flash player) uses the same model
> here, and has pretty high fidelity to the Flash display model.  Not
> sure if you've already seen it, though.

I had a closer look at gameswf_tesselate.cpp and it notes that flash
does not seem to use self-intersecting polygons. If this is true, it
certainly presents an interesting optimization opportunity. However,
without a way to tell cairo that the resulting polygon does not
self-intersect it would be more difficult to take advantage of.

-Jeff