[cairo] <pageSet><page> supported by svg2pdf ?

Dominic Lachowicz domlachowicz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 07:02:56 PDT 2007

Hi Andy,

Emmanuel's comment

> "I've just commited pageSet support to cairo SVG backend, based on Dom work. So
> it would be nice to have support for this feature also in librsvg. "

means that cairo can produce multi-page SVGs using cairo's normal
drawing commands [1]. Before, the cairo_show_page() function did not
work for the SVG surface. This has nothing to do with the svg2pdf
program.

As Emmanuel's comment says, librsvg does not yet support SVG's
<pageSet> tag. The rsvg-convert program, however, can take multiple
SVGs of the same size and turn them into a single PDF. A workaround
might be to use some PERL or XSLT to split multi-page SVGs into
individual pages, and then call rsvg-convert to produce a combined
PDF.

Cheers,
Dom

[1] http://www.cairographics.org/manual/cairo-SVG-Surfaces.html

> So this to me implies that cairo can infact do this ? and if svg2pdf
> uses cairo then i can build cairo from svn and continue to use svg2pdf
> ?
>
> Andrew
>
> On 9/10/07, Emmanuel Pacaud <emmanuel.pacaud at lapp.in2p3.fr> wrote:
> >
> > Le lundi 10 septembre 2007 à 01:49 +0930, Andy Mason a écrit :
> > > Hello all,
> > > Just been playing around with the fantastic svg2pdf to allow people to
> > > upload svg's made in inkscape / other svg editor to be used as the
> > > base document for sending pdf invoices. It works really well but i've
> > > run into a bit of a snag. Basically when people order too many
> > > products its going to run over the page. I was wondering if svg2pdf
> > > supports the svg pageSet, and page elements ? I have tried but it
> > > doesn't seem to work, however it's more than possible my xsl is just
> > > broken. I thought i would check on here just in case it wasn't
> > > supported otherwise i could be working on the xsl for a long time =)
> >
> > <page> is not supported by librsvg, which is used for by svg2pdf for the
> > svg rendering. An enhancement request about this feature is already
> > opened in librsvg bugzilla.
> >
> > Please note that svg2pdf doesn't exist anymore in cairo's tree. But as
> > an alternative you can use rsvg-convert, a small utility included in
> > librsvg.
> >
> >         Emmanuel.
> >
> > --
> > Emmanuel PACAUD
> > Groupe Virgo
> > LAPP - Laboratoire d'Annecy-le-Vieux de physique des particules
> > 9, chemin de Bellevue - BP 110
> > 74941 Annecy-le-Vieux CEDEX
> > France
> > Tél: (+33)4 50 09 17 89 - Fax: (+33)4 50 27 94 95

Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums.