[cairo] PDF text doesn't render

Adrian Johnson ajohnson at redneon.com
Fri Sep 21 06:41:20 PDT 2007

Lichtl, Adam wrote:
> 1) layers_cairo.ps   --> uses cairo_set_source_rgba, looks fine in gv

This contains a fallback image as PostScript does not support
transparency. So I would not expect any PostScript viewer would have a
problem displaying it.

> 2) layers_cairo.pdf  --> using a cairo PDF surface, works in acroread and preview,
> but not in gv (blank) or in xpdf (opaque)

This looks fine in acroread 8.1, xpdf 3.02, and gv (using ESP
Ghostscript 8.15). What version of ghostscript and xpdf are you using?

> 3) layers_ps2pdf.pdf --> ps2pdf on layers_cairo.ps, works in acroread, preview,
> gv, and xpdf, but with wrong bounding box

This appears to be a problem with ps2pdf. layers_cairo.ps has the
bounding box "%%BoundingBox: 0 0 120 120". The layers_ps2pdf.pdf has the
MediaBox [0 0 612 792].

> 4) text_cairo.ps   --> uses cairo_show_text, looks fine in gv

This contains a Type1 fallback font because the TrueType subsetting has
failed.

> 5) text_cairo.pdf  --> using a cairo PDF surface, works in gv, xpdf, and acroread,
> but not in preview

This contains a CFF fallback font because the TrueType subsetting has
failed. However Preview has a problem with CFF fonts subsetted by cairo.

> 6) text_ps2pdf.pdf --> ps2pdf on text_cairo.ps, works in acroread, preview, gv,
> and xpdf, but with wrong bounding box

This contains the Type1 fallback font from text_cairo.ps which Preview
can display.

> In both cases the ps2pdf version is stuck into a full size page.  For the layers example,
> the image appears in the lower-left corner, and for the text example,
the text begins in
> the lower left corner and is cropped at the right side of the page.

This appears to be a ps2pdf problem. You can check the bounding box in
the PostScript file by opening it in a text editor and searching for
"%%BoundingBox".