[cairo] Cario PDF generation slides

Adrian Johnson ajohnson at redneon.com
Sun Sep 23 02:03:11 PDT 2007

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm supposed to briefly talk about "The Cairo graphics library for
> generating PS/PDF documents".  I'm trying to put up some kind of slides
> together.  I appreciate any help, regarding talking points
> (why cairo's good for PDF generation), what's planned,

For 1.6 I would like to eliminate all unnecessary image fallbacks.
At present the only remaining work to be done is to add native support
for gradients with EXTEND_REPEAT and EXTEND_REFLECT.

For 1.8 than plan is:
  - Improved text extraction
  - Metadata API
  - Reduce the PDF file size. This includes:
     - Don't re-embed images, gradients and meta surface patterns
       each time they are used
     - Merge glyphs into the same string where possible (#11612)
     - JPEG support

> what can be improved, etc...

Better documentation [1].

> Thanks in advance,