[cairo] PDF backend: PDF trailer not written?

Sascha Steinbiss steinbiss at zbh.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Dec 2 01:46:58 PST 2008

Adrian Johnson wrote:
> Sascha Steinbiss wrote:
>> My question is now: is it basically possible to corrupt PDF output,
>> especially  getting the PDF trailer dict omitted, only by drawing
>> operations on a cairo_t without ever doing nasty things with the
>> surface? If so, I would be glad to get some directions on how to
>> ensure the PDF is complete.
> An incomplete PDF file is a result of an error occurring while creating
> the PDF. You can check the surface status to find out what went wrong.
>
> For example:
>
>   cairo_surface_finish (surface);
>   status = cairo_surface_status (surface);
>   cairo_surface_destroy (surface);
>   printf("%s\n", cairo_status_to_string (status));

Thanks. I actually tried that before after each page and drawing
operation set (which reported "success"), but not after the
cairo_surface_finish() call. Doing so now reports "input string not
valid UTF-8".

I suppose this does not refer to any text drawn via cairo_show_text()?
Any text I draw is read from a properly UTF8-encoded file. So what
"input string" does this message refer to, and why doesn't it seem to
cause a problem in the older version?

Sascha

--
Sascha Steinbiss