[cairo] Path Gradients

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Jan 22 10:19:12 PST 2008

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:50:58 -0800, Bobby Salazar wrote:
> Carl, do you (or anyone else) know where I can go to read up about
> these "Type 6" shadings? I would be interested in learning more
> about them and what kind of things are possible with them. Thanks!

You'll want to read The PostScript Language Reference Manual,
specifically section 4.9.3 "Shading Patterns". Type 6 is "coons patch
meshes" and there's a more complex type 7 which is "tensor-product
patch meshes". I've never known which we'd want to put into cairo,
(but the one mention that Adobe Illustrator "gradient meshes" are Type
6 lends me to think that's the way we want to go).

If you don't want to buy the PostScript reference as a printed book
you can download a digital copy here:

	http://www.adobe.com/products/postscript/pdfs/PLRM.pdf