[cairo] The short road left to 1.6

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Jan 24 12:43:35 PST 2008

I've just done some major (and long overdue) cleanups to cairo's todo
and roadmap files.

First, everyone should not that I've removed the ROADMAP and TODO
files from the source distribution. Instead the roadmap.mdwn and
todo.mdwn files in the cairo-www repository for the website[*] are now
canonical. Unsurprisingly, since we had two copies of each of these
files, there was some ugly divergence---but I cleaned that up now.

Also, the roadmap was woefully out of date, (never having been updated
since the originally guessed July 2007 for 1.6 came and went). I've
now put February 2008 in as the 1.6 date and I want to make this one
happen.

Toward that end, I've slipped a ton of the originally proposed 1.6
ideas that haven't seen much progress yet off to 1.8. It looks like
that's shaping up to have a strong "make fonts/text work properly"
theme to it.

As for 1.6, there's a lot that has already been done, but there's also
a fair amount left. Here are the 5 items on the roadmap currently and
who's "on the hook" for each of them:

	• Fix a8mask failure	cworth

	• Fix CAIRO_EXTEND_PAD	aazar

	• Fix goofy visuals	cworth

	• .._get_xrender_format	cworth

	• 16.16 -> 24.8		vlad

These 5 items didn't slip because for 4 of them we already have a
patch that hopefully just needs a little review or massaging before
it's complete. (The other one is a trivial API addition.) So I think
it's quite reasonable to get these in very soon.

There are a couple of other things not on the 1.6 schedule that some
might like to be there, (like marking cairo-xcb and cairo-quartz as
supported). If so, please let me know that you're willing to help make
it happen, (we need test suite success for supported backends, for
example).

Meanwhile, there are a *bunch* of PDF, PS, and SVG failures in the
test suite right now that must be sorted out before release, (and I'll
insert more fallbacks if necessary to make the test suite pass).

Finally, my plan is to work on two or three of the above issues today
and push out a 1.5.8 snapshot. Then I'm off to linux.conf.au where I
likely won't have any time to touch cairo for about a week. While I'm
gone would be a great time for others to make some progress. As soon
as possible after I get back I'd like to finish off 1.6.

I'm having a ton of fun with all of this, and I hope you are too!

-Carl

[*] The current files can be viewed here:

	http://cairographics.org/roadmap/

	http://cairographics.org/todo/

And can be edited by anyone right there by clicking "edit" (just setup
a wiki account first), or they can be edited via git for people that
have permission to do that kind of thing. For that, do:

	git clone cairographics.org:/git/cairo-www