[cairo] pango doesn't render non-Latin characters with cairo-quartz-font

Ryan Schmidt cairo-2008c at ryandesign.com
Sun Jul 6 21:02:31 PDT 2008

Hello. I maintain cairo and pango in MacPorts, and I have a report
from a user that when cairo-quartz-font is in use, pango doesn't
render non-Latin characters (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai,
Tibetan). When cairo-quartz-font is turned off (i.e. when cairo-
quartz-font.pc is deleted and pango is rebuilt), these characters
show up.

The reporter was using Mac OS X 10.5.x (Leopard) with cairo 1.6.4 and
pango 1.20.3. I can confirm the issue with Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger)
on Intel with cairo 1.6.4 and pango 1.20.5.

Here is the detailed bug report that was filed with MacPorts:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15626

I don't know if this is a cairo bug or a pango bug. I started by
asking the pango list [1] but it's been four days and nobody
responded. Please let me know if you think this is a pango problem
and I should bug them again.

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2008-July/msg00002.html