[cairo] Bug with fallback resolution of groups

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed May 21 10:29:09 PDT 2008

I've just pushed a change to the fallback-resolution test making it
expose a bug with the way that groups are handled.

With this change, the top half of each page is drawn as always, while
the bottom half is drawn with identical code, but inside a group.

See the attached PDF file to see that the group is rendered with a
fallback resolution of 72.0 ppi independent of the desired fallback
resolution.

-Carl

PS. This bug was found with using Firefox3 to print a fairly simple
page and the result was an awful 72-ppi rendering. I believe the
fallback was triggered by firefox generating PDF output with a
knockout group in it, and poppler then rendering that to PostScript
with explicit DEST_OUT and ADD operators. I'll finish tracking down
those issues soon, but for now, this 72-ppi cairo bug is the worst in
the chain that leads to the bad experience.