[cairo] Implement a fallback for lcd filtering for the freetype backend.

Lance Hepler nlhepler at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 22:47:02 PDT 2008

Hello Gentlemen,

For those of you not following Freedesktop bug
it involves cairo's use of Freetype's lcd filtering abilities, which are
considered by some to be better than cairo's old built-in lcd filtering.

Attached here and to that bug is a patch that sits on top of a revert of
commit 5d887ad5dca5af0f8216830d1b04d08a5aba9bee (which reverted freetype
lcd_filtering from cairo).

Comments for changes to these patches are more than welcome (I need to
spruce up my C a bit).

I would also like some assistance on a different project: bringing freetype
autohinting-derived lsb/rsb deltas into cairo.  A demonstration by David
Turner is here<http://www.mail-archive.com/freetype-devel@nongnu.org/msg01846.html>
While we already have excellent text rasterization, I do think we still lag
a little bit behind the commercial sector.  If we can one day match Adobe in
text technology, well that's just a win for free software everywhere.

Thanks again,

Nicolaus L Hepler