[cairo] BUILD_ANY2PPM with test_ps backend

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Thu Oct 9 03:54:24 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 18:32 +0800, Ginn Chen wrote:
> In configure.ac, we have these lines.
> 436 dnl
> 437 dnl Build the external converter if we have any of the test backends
> 438 AM_CONDITIONAL(BUILD_ANY2PPM,
> 439                test "x$test_svg" = "xyes" \
> 440                  -o "x$test_pdf" = "xyes" ) # -o "x$test_ps"  =
> "xyes")
>
> Is it intentional to leave $test_ps away?

Yes, as currently any2ppm doesn't have a converter for PostScript. It is
planned to wrap GhostScript (possibly using libspectre as a
convenient/similar interface) but there were rendering differences
between the pngAlpha and xlib rendering devices so I've yet to push
those changes. In order to better utilise GS, any2ppm needs to maintain
a single instance of the interpreter and without somebody implementing
that, there is only a small improvement from circumventing the png
compression/decompression. (And then there is the question of do we do a
quick pass for smoke testing and then a slow pass for
conformance/regression testing...)

In short, it was an oversight not to include the PS converter for
completeness and something I'm about to rectify...
--
Chris