[cairo] metafile from cairo into powerpoint

mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Mon Oct 13 19:32:18 PDT 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:31:32 -0700
Ralph Giles <giles at ghostscript.com> wrote:

>On 13-Oct-08, at 1:04 PM, Charles ________ Doutriaux wrote:
>
>> I tried svg but Powerpoint doesn't seem to know how to deal with it.
>
>Can it deal with PDF?

It is one of the long-expected features for Microsoft
Office that import and export the office graphic objects
to individual files with native format. Recent OOXML
exposed the XML expression of office graphic objects
(DrawingML and legacy VML), but I'm questionable if
future Microsoft Office will support these formats directly.

In the case of PowerPoint 2003, the acceptable scalable
graphic formats are: Windows Meta File (WMF), Extended
Meta File (EMF), EPS, Macintosh PICT, and WordPerfect
graphics. However, the restriction against EPS is serious,
most EPS including embedded CJK fonts could not be inserted
properly.

In the case of Visio 2003, SVG is supported. But if I
give large SVG data (e.g. statistic graphs generated by
Gnumeric), the imported images are broken. I think the
builtin SVG interpreter of Visio is designed for small
data, aslike EPS interpreter in PowerPoint.

If Microsoft Office 2007 provides better features, please
let me know.

Regards,
mpsuzuki