[cairo] metafile from cairo into powerpoint

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Tue Oct 14 00:45:22 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 09:25 +0200, Mathieu Lacage wrote:
> I considered implementing my own emf/wmf backend for cairo using
> microsoft's released specifications but I don't know how legal that
> would be: if someone is willing to look at this
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc230514.aspx and tell me
> whether it is legal to use it for a GPL implementation of a wmf/emf
> generator, I would be happy to give this a shot in some of my copious
> spare time.

I think it is an interesting project, and Charles has clearly identified
a need for a cairo backend. Referring to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Open_Specification_Promise
it seems compatible with both the LPGL-2.1 and MPL-1.1. Though IANAL...
I wonder if Behdad has access to a statement from the Red Hat legal team
that clarifies their position? It would be unfortunate for us to develop
a backend that could not be distributed through Fedora (or Debian).
--
Chris