[cairo] Possible minor bug in Cairomm (or Cairo) handling of surface patterns

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Oct 31 13:21:14 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 20:51 +0200, Asko Kauppi wrote:
> I had a situation where placing a Cairo::SurfacePattern onto SVG
> output would create results, and placing the same onto ImageSurface
> (PNG output) would not.

Hi Asko,

Can you provide more details here please? Any time the various backends
behave differently then that's a bug in cairo. So we'd love to see what
code you used to get the incorrect results.

> Now, all is fine and the outputs are identical. However, wasn't the
> earlier SVG output actually wrong. Cairo docs say:

I don't know if the eralier result was wrong or not. I'd have to see the
code you used and the result you got.

> 	"The default extend mode is CAIRO_EXTEND_NONE for surface patterns"

But yes, if the SVG result is repeating even with the default
CAIRO_EXTEND_NONE then that would be a bug. Of course, this could either
be a bug in cairo outputting something incorrect into an SVG file. Or it
could even be e bug in an SVG viewer incorrectly rendering something
cairo asked for, (such things have been known to happen before).

We'll definitely look forward to more details from you,