[cairo] Hello, Cairo! Re: Simple Win32 GDI example with Cairo wanted

ja alex lurker0ster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 04:31:18 PDT 2008

Hi  folks,    I setup VS2008 Cairo hello world project without using GTK+
for windows.

Actually Cairo has win32 surface support(base on GDI). Use
 cairo_win32_surface_create

instead of other surface creating API (like cairo_image_surface_create).

Only few instructions need to be follow:
0. Download cairo lib for windows.
1. Use wizard to create a win32 project in Visual C++ 2008 express.
2. Open <your project name>.cpp and find function WndProc.
3. Modify WM_PAINT branch with piece of code below:
case WM_PAINT:
hdc = BeginPaint(hWnd, &ps);
// TODO: Add any drawing code here...
cairo_surface_t *surface;
cairo_t *cr;

     surface = cairo_win32_surface_create(hdc);
     cr = cairo_create(surface);
Draw(cr);   //  <<<<<<Cairo draw here
cairo_destroy(cr);
 EndPaint(hWnd, &ps);
break;
4. Add cairo lib path to new project.
5.Compile and check the result

After that,  you will see your cairo drawing  in Windows program's client
area.

Hope it is helpful, and correct me if there are mistakes.