[cairo] Hebrew, Cyrillic

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Sep 26 08:07:35 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 13:21 +0200, Joerg Anders wrote:
> Yes, but what exactly is the font name database? Does it search all
> X11 fonts ? Or does it dearch the fonts compiled in into the glibc ?

It's fontconfig that controls this. You can explore what fontconfig is
finding for "Time" with the command:

	fc-match Times

or even:
	fc-match -v Times

> > The
> > problem may be that your "Times" font doesn't include the glyphs you
> > want to use? Maybe try a unicode font like "DejaVu Serif" or a
> > script-specific font name?
>
> This does not help. Again: If I test the same program on Scientific Linux
> I see at least the cyrillic letters. And I think and think: "What's
> the difference between my Gentoo system and the Scientific Linux
> system?. Which library, which database differs ?"

I would expect the output of the above fc-match commands to report
different fonts.

Note that if you use pango, (as suggested in a separate portion of the
thread), it will automatically use multiple fonts as need to present the
text you have requested.